ACCESSIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE POLICY -
1. POLICY STATEMENT
1.1 Community Living Port Colborne-Wainfleet provides its supports and services in a way that respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. We are also committed to giving people with disabilities the same opportunity to access supports and services to allow them to benefit from the same services, in the same place and in a similar way as others.
This policy has been prepared pursuant to requirements and information provided in the Ontario Regulation 429/07 made under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
2.1 Providing Supports and Services to People with Disabilities
Community Living Port Colborne-Wainfleet is committed to serve all people including those with disabilities and we will carry out our functions and responsibilities in the following areas:
- a) Communication - We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability including telephone, email, in person and written formats.
- b) Assistive devices - We are committed to serving people with disabilities, who use assistive devices to obtain, use or benefit from our services. Community Living Port Colborne-Wainfleet will also ensure that applicable staff know how to use assistive devices on our premises for people i.e., elevators automated doors, lifts, ramp.
2.2 Use of Service Animals
We welcome service animals on the parts of our premises that are open to the public and other third parties.
2.3 Use of Support Person
We welcome support people, who accompany a person with a disability on the parts of our premises that are open to the public and other third parties.
2.4 Notice of Temporary Disruption
- a) Community Living Port Colborne-Wainfleet will provide people with notice in the event of a planned or unexpected disruption in the facilities or services usually used by people with disabilities. This notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated duration, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available.
- b) The notice will be placed on our voice mail system, and at all public entrances and service counters on our premises.
2.5 Training for Staff
Community Living Port Colborne-Wainfleet will provide training to employees, and others who deal with the public or other third parties on their behalf, and all those who are involved in the development and approvals of customer service policies, practices and procedures.
- a) This training will be provided initially to staff and board members. When new staff or board members join our agency, training will occur during orientation prior to the commencement of their duties.
- b) Training will include the following:
- • The purposes of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard;
- • Community Living Port Colborne-Wainfleet's policies, practices and procedures relating to the customer service standard;
- • How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities;
- • How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person;
- • What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing Community Living Port Colborne-Wainfleet's supports and services;
- • Location specific staff will be trained on how to use the accessibility equipment available on Community Living Port Colborne-Wainfleet's premises or otherwise that may help with the provision of goods or services to people with disabilities.
- c) Employees and board members will be re-trained when there are changes made to these policies, practices and procedures.
- d) Records shall be kept of who was trained, when they were trained and in which format the training was delivered.
2.6 Complaint/Feedback Process
Community Living Port Colborne-Wainfleet is committed to establishing, implementing and maintaining a process for receiving and responding to feedback about how to provide goods or services to persons with disabilities.
- a) Community Living Port Colborne-Wainfleet has established a process for receiving and responding to feedback about the manner in which it provides goods or services to persons with disabilities and shall make information about the process readily available to the public.
- b) The feedback process shall permit persons to provide feedback in person, by telephone, by fax, in writing or in electronic format including e-mail.
- c) The feedback process shall include the following:
- i. The opportunity for the public to provide feedback in person, by telephone, by fax, in writing or by delivering an electronic text by e-mail.
- ii. The opportunity to provide as much information as possible when providing feedback so that the event can be readily identified by the Coordinator and/or Manager responsible for where the event took place. The information may include dates, times, names, contact information, a description of the event, etc.
- iii. Feedback may be received by any person who deals with members of the public or other third parties on behalf of Community Living Port Colborne-Wainfleet. A copy of the feedback shall be forwarded to the responsible supervisor/manager for review.
- iv. An answer to the feedback is not mandatory, however, depending on the situation, the coordinator and/or manager responsible for where the event took place may deem it appropriate to respond to the customer. Should an answer be deemed appropriate and should the customer have chosen to supply his or her contact information, the customer may expect the said answer within 15 business days.
Please provide feedback via any of the following contacts:
Telephone: 905-835-8941 ext. 0 Fax: 905-835-5515
2.7 Modifications to this and other Policies
We are committed to developing customer service policies that respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities.
- a) No changes will be made to this policy before considering the impact on people with disabilities.
- b) Any policy of Community Living Port Colborne-Wainfleet that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.
2.8 Availability of Document
Community Living Port Colborne-Wainfleet is committed to raising awareness towards accessibility and to breaking down barriers for persons with disabilities in order for them to have the same kind of opportunities as everyone else.
This policy regarding Accessible Customer Service shall be made available at the Administration Office and in all program sites and shall be made available to anyone upon request.
Questions or concerns regarding this policy and its implication should be addressed to the CEO
A copy of this document is available via any of the following contacts:
Telephone: 905-835-8941 ext. 0
Mail: Community Living Port Colborne-Wainfleet 100 McRae Ave, Port Colborne, ON L3K 2A8